Friday, February 27, 2009

Some Miscellaneous Musings for a Friday Night

Hey, it's Friday night, and I know you've got nothing better to do than read this blog, so get your asses ready...

--I'm going through the British TV comedy "Spaced" for the first time. For those of you unaware, "Spaced" is the first major collaboration between Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, along with Nick Frost and Jessica Stevenson. It's not a great laugh-out-loud comedy, but I realized a couple of episodes ago that I felt like I was in the same room with the characters; not that I wanted them to succeed, but that I felt like I was there. This show is awesome.

--Rick Santelli, Mr. Fat Cat Fool, will be on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" next week. When it comes to potentially controversial figures, Stewart's either a very fierce and unforgiving interviewer or a very bland and uninterested interviewer. In this case, I hope sincerely he's the former; in the past, he has accurately argued that his show is not and should not be a bellwether for legitimate news sources, but in this case, I posit that Santelli's only guesting on the show because of his wacky rantings on CNBC and their popularity. Hopefully, Stewart brings out the metaphorical boxing gloves.

--I cannot wait to go to Disneyland. Just about two weeks left. Cannot wait.

--As truly dorky as it makes me sound, I still do harbor a deep love for the "Redwall" series of books, even though they are all flawed. In the same that "Spaced" makes me feel like a part of the proverbial family, so it goes for "Redwall," a series about, if you're unaware, woodland creatures often fighting weasels, rats, foxes, and stoats. Not sure why it works so well, but I really want to re-read the books. Also...there's going to be a movie in 2011? Why am I skeptical?

--I can't wait to rewatch Let The Right One In on Blu-ray when it comes out on the 10th of March. Why can't time go faster?

--As I mentioned on my Twitter feed yesterday, I seriously think that Ghost Town was the most underrated mainstream movie of 2008. Expect a review soon.

--Expect, also, a review of Toy Story 2 very soon, a look back. I'd go week-to-week here, but then there'd be a long gap in between my last Look Back and the May 29th release of Up. In fact, once I get through the Look Back at Bourne, I may begin another series, either of James Bond films or of Walt Disney features. Depends on my mood.

--Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is absolutely the best movie musical I've seen in a long time. Far better than anything else that came out this decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment