Thursday, February 5, 2009

Miscellaneous Musings

So I've decided it's not just going to be an analysis of Pixar movies; let's just do every feature-length Disney animated film. No direct-to-DVD/video sequels (even the mildly entertaining third entry in the Aladdin series), because, let's be honest, they're around so Disney can make boatloads of money off kids who don't yet know well enough to stick with the originals. In fact, I'm just going to start doing series of films. Pixar is first. Disney is next. That much should take me through the year, what with there being almost 40 of the latter. After that, the sky's the limit. Hopefully, by that time, requests will be made. If not, there are enough series of films to look at.

Elsewhere, I feel conflicted. I like Christian Bale as an actor; in fact, he's one of the select few whose name likely means me buying a ticket. An example is next May's Terminator: Salvation, a movie that I would avoid at all costs because of its director, McG (also known as get a real fucking name, not a nickname, you supposed adult). However, with Bale and Bryce Dallas Howard, among others, being in the main cast, and the Terminator series itself, I'm going to see it. So, I feel conflicted because I like Bale as an actor, but I can't help myself from listening to that rant of his. And the techno remix. And the Stephen Colbert-Steve Martin version. And the James Lipton reenactment. And it came from TMZ. How much of my soul am I losing by perversely enjoying it? Not enough to buy a shirt that says "You and me are fucking done professionally," or whatever, but...enough, I'd bet.

Last night's episode of Lost was quite good, but it would have been far better if I cared enough about the Jack-Kate-Sawyer love triangle. Unlike some folks who watch the show, including the missus, I don't care about whether Kate ends up with Jack or Sawyer, or so on and so on. For what it's worth, though, Josh Holloway is up to the task for the angsty stuff. That plus the amount of non-lovey-dovey stuff meant last night was a win. But when will Daniel start getting nosebleeds? He's gonna have to start doing that soon.

Finally, the next current movie review is going to be for the 3-D version of Coraline, a movie I first saw previews for over a year ago. Anything with Henry Selick involved makes me very excited, for I am one of the ten people who actually enjoyed and, yes, own Monkeybone. I still say the last 30 minutes of that movie is ridiculously funny, far funnier than most comedies have in their entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment