Friday, March 6, 2009

Sacred Cows

I just spent two hours in hell, folks. Hell, for those of you who are fortunately aware, is a bad high school production of vaudeville. Yes, I know, there are so many of the good ones, but I just came back from the bad kind. Would you like to see kids who don't know who Groucho Marx is do the "Sanity Clause" sketch? How about a male-female duo butchering "Who's On First?" What makes me angry--yes, angry--about this is the director/producer of the show actually said he loved vaudeville and thought these kids were the best to bring it back to life, in some small way. That he is a complete idiot should go without saying, but how dare he ruin these classics? How dare he?

I mean....Groucho Marx. Abbott & Costello. These are sacred cows of comedy. Do not touch them with a ten-foot stick unless you are absolutely sure of how good your performers are. DO NOT TOUCH THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment