Saturday, March 28, 2009

Battlestar Galactica: Seasons 3 and 4

Copyright 2009, Sci Fi Channel

Though I've mentioned it before, I'm going to take back something I said: I did not make a mistake waiting on Battlestar Galactica. For those unaware of this, I watched the three-hour miniseries from 2003 two years ago with my wife. Our consensus at the time was that the miniseries was pretty damn boring. Obviously, I've changed my tune (though I'd say the miniseries is hard to get through), but why am I saying it's not a mistake? Going through the entire series, all 73 episodes, is far more satisfying for me, far more breathless, than just waiting each week, and suffering the lengthy hiatuses (hiatusi?) between seasons and half-seasons. Even more, I'm able to finish up with the series finale only three days after it airs, thus missing most of the big spoilers about "Daybreak," the grand finish.

Oh, sure, I should have stuck with the show after the miniseries, but I've caught up now, so that's all there is to it. Either way, the last two seasons. Normally, I'd do a review for each season, but I figured I should just stick everything I've got to say into one post. Before going into season 3, I'd seen the overall view was a mild pan, compared to the craziness and intensity that was season 2. It's hard for me to bad-mouth season 3, though, as it featured the slam-bang five-episode opening arc, with the human characters leaving New Caprica and continuing the fight against the Cylon enemy. Also, the final four episodes, from Starbuck's shocking death to her even more surprising resurrection, were near-perfect. The episodes in between those 9, however, weren't great, as they were more self-contained and, thus, less interesting. The trial of Gaius Baltar is hinted at from the beginning of episode 11, when Chief Tyrol, of all people, takes the self-involved scientist down while examining the Eye of Jupiter, thought to be a signpost to the mythical thirteenth colony of Earth. Yet, the actual trial starts 7 episodes later. Slow going indeed.

Still, how can you argue the heartbreaking elements of the season, from Colonel Tigh's decision to kill his own wife because of her double-crossing ways to Laura Roslin's cancer arriving again to Kara Thrace's past life? Yes, it's an imperfect season, and hard to compare to season 2; even more, I'd bet it was less satisfying on a week-to-week basis for those watching in real time. For a person like me, catching up on DVD renders the season, as a whole, better; more proof of my not making such a big mistake.

Overall, season 3 is entertaining, but not much happens. Lee is fat, Lee loses weight, Lee decides to be a lawyer, Lee loves Kara, he hates Kara, and on and on. The most fascinating elements of the season are either set on New Caprica, or occur as the trip to Earth really gets going. The most interesting and weird character, Romo Lampkin (played marvelously by Mark Sheppard), is introduced at the end of the season, sunglasses, cat, and all. It's season 4 that has the great, not the good. We get to deal with the fallout of the revelation that Kara is alive again, that she has seen Earth, that Roslin is really dying, and that there are four Cylons in the fleet, and they are among our favorite characters; Colonel Tigh! Chief Tyrol! Anders! Tory! The manipulations, the deceit, the romance, the action, the science fiction, the performances...everything really comes together in season 4, especially the final 10 episodes, where the humans and rebel Cylons (the ones who break from the more vicious Cylons, lead by Dean Stockwell's Brother Cavil) deal with finding an Earth that is completely desolate and wiped out. We get suicide, another Cylon reveal (Ellen!), and more fallout from finding out the humans who aren't really humans. My favorite mini-arc from season 4 came when Lieutenant Felix Gaeta slowly unraveled after having his leg amputated; that it lead him to mutiny with Tom Zarek was surprising, but the intense two-part episode that ended with his execution in the Galactica airlock was great, on the same level of the Battlestar Pegasus storyline.

Then, the slow build to the series finale, "Daybreak." This finale may not be perfect (having Brother Cavil kill himself is fine, but having him do it so damn quickly is just weird), but has a host of great humor (President Lampkin? Admiral Hoshi? You jest.), moving moments (just watch Adama put his wedding ring on Roslin's finger and try not to cry, I dare you), and satisfying send-offs. I was surprised at how okay I was with the spiritual element of this finale, as someone who cares naught about religion. The idea that the Head Six and Head Baltar were angels or demons of some kind? I'm cool with it. Kara vanishing into thin air? Yeah, I'm cool with that, too. I was a bit iffy on the final scene, partly because it felt tacked on, the dialogue was more awkwardly delivered, and the robot montage felt too unsubtle, on a show that doesn't usually hammer its points home. Still, I can't wait to watch it again.

Hell, I can't wait to watch this whole series again. There were many fantastic episodes, many that made me grip my seat, many that made me laugh, many that made me cheer, many that made me tear up. The love affair may have been late and short, but I can now officially say that I love me some Battlestar Galactica. Also, its prequel, Caprica, is not something I'll miss. I'm willing to make the sacrifice of watching that show in real time. So, if you haven't seen the adventures of Admiral Adama, President Roslin (and how fucking amazing is Mary McDonnell? Honestly.), Starbuck, Apollo, and company....buy it and buy it now.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Thanks for sharing.
    I find something interesting as well:

    http://hk.geocities.com/hk_disneyland_stickers/

    ReplyDelete