Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Couple Quickies

Not that kind, you naughty person. As it's the wife's birthday, I've not got much to write today, but here's a few minor thoughts.

I've finally caught up with the first two episodes of Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. Next to Lost, it's the best drama on television. Better than even Mad Men, yep. Starbuck's kidnapped by one of the Cylons, she's got a kid, Tigh's brilliant but insane, and on and on. I keep waiting for this show to fuck up, but I don't think it's going to happen. I really wish I'd watched this show live.

Speaking of Lost, I feel I should quickly amend my original thoughts on why the show's worked for me despite some of its flaws: the byplay between Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson. I'm catching up on the repeat of last week's episode right now, and it's not that O'Quinn and Emerson have a great chemistry. It's that O'Quinn is amazing and has a great chemistry with everyone around him. For me, the best moment in an episode full of them (the shot with Abbadon getting shot from behind the car was masterful) is a single glare O'Quinn shoots at Matthew Fox as Jack rails against Locke for believing, still, in the island. That's not to say the entire Locke-Ben scene at the end wasn't chilling and emotional, but O'Quinn, in particular, is doing a heavy amount of work on the show. I can't wait to see what happens tonight.

Finally, Watchmen is coming up soon to theaters, and though I'll definitely see it this weekend (if only to make sure I'm up to date with my friends about the movie), I'm....well, I'll write up something tomorrow about how little I'm looking forward to the actual experience. We'll see, but the more I read reviews from legitimate critics who aren't slavish lapdogs (something I'm plenty guilty of being with regards to other TV shows and movies) of the graphic novel, I wonder. Maybe the lowered expectations will help me out. We'll talk tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment