Monday, January 5, 2009

Why So Serious?

Copyright 2008, Warner Bros. Pictures

The Producers' Guild announced their nominations for film today, and the usual suspects arrived: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire and....The Dark Knight. I'm not particularly surprised about this, as the five have been relatively solid for a while. Still, I wouldn't cry if both of my favorite films of 2008 ended up as Best Picture nominees. It's been a bland year for film, so the possibility of movies I genuinely love in both critical and commerical ways landing up for 40% of the nominees is a big fingers-crossed idea.

Some Oscar-inclined folk, I guess, took this as a surprise today, but Batman showing up is about as big a surprise as the sun rising in the East tomorrow. I'll have more on the best film of 2008 later on this week, but for now, I'm hoping this week brings good news for Bruce Wayne and the Joker.


No comments:

Post a Comment