Monday, June 15, 2009

Double Take

So, I ended up seeing two movies this weekend, both of which were movies that I'd already seen: The Hangover (with the wife, who hadn't yet seen the film) and Up (this time in 2-D, not 3-D). On the one hand, I'm proud to say that the latter film is just as powerful, affecting, and exciting as it as the first time around. True, I didn't get to see the film in 3-D, which means that I missed out on a second view of the fancy new Pixar logo. Still, it was awesome.

On the other hand, the former film, the newest raunchy comedy, wasn't as hilarious as it was on the first go-round. I don't want to spend too much time on The Hangover, partly because I still won't have major thoughts on the film, but because the movie's getting such great word-of-mouth, and it's certainly a good movie, that I don't want to be the sole person raining on the parade. However...there are a few flaws the film has, which I'll quickly discuss. First of all, the first 15 minutes are kind of a slog to get through. I, for example, had seen enough of the trailers and ads to know that the story was about three guys who lose the groom of the bachelor party they're attending in Vegas because of a massive hangover. I knew they'd have to spend the movie figuring out what they did. I knew they stole a tiger, I knew Mike Tyson showed up, I knew there'd be a baby.

I say all of this because the first 15 minutes pretends that I've never seen a single trailer. Thus, the opening is slow, it's somewhat boring, and not very funny. Part of this is thanks to the fact that the first act spends times poorly trying to build the characters into something more than types. And they are only types. Think of this: The Hangover is Old School in Vegas. And that's all the movie is. Thus, the realism the movie tries to achieve isn't perfect.

But, a good movie, still. Just not the best ever. Anyway, that was my weekend of moviegoing. How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment