Sunday, April 12, 2009

I've Loved You So Long

Copyright 2009, Sony Pictures Classics

A few words here about my most recent Blu-ray rental from Netflix (thanks, by the way, for raising that price on your Blu-ray rentals, Netflix; great timing), the French drama I've Loved You So Long, that garnered a lot of Oscar buzz last fall for its lead performance from English actress Kristin Scott Thomas. Thomas was, in a word, shortchanged at the Oscar ceremony. No, she probably wouldn't have won, but her performance as Juliette, a mentally scarred woman being released from a 15-year stint in prison to her younger sister, is phenomenal. Like most of the great performances, Thomas works with her face more than with the dialogue. Only a few times does Juliette ever lash out at someone or raise her voice. When she does, Thomas arguably brings the heat very well. More often than not, she speaks quietly or not at all.

I won't tell you the plot aside from what I've already mentioned. Thanks to the description Netflix wrote for me, I knew a bit more about Juliette's past than I should have; there's really only one mystery here, one that unravels slowly and painfully. The less you know, the better. Overall, the film is very strong, much like an engrossing short story. The movie doesn't just focus on Juliette, but also her sister, the happier, more content Lea (Elsa Zylberstein). Their relationship is so real, so raw, it's a bit of a shock to see that the film's writer and director is a man, Phillippe Claudel, making his feature debut. I did have a few quibbles about some scenes during the film; one in particular where a truly rude dinner guest won't shut up about wondering where Juliette's from and why he's never heard about her before really pissed me off, not because of the character, but because it felt unnecessary and unrealistic. Overall, though, I've Loved You So Long is a strong character study worth checking out.


No comments:

Post a Comment