Saturday, June 25, 2011

Starting a Podcast From Scratch

Sometimes, knowing that the first person you can let down is yourself is a good incentive to do something. I've been listening to podcasts for the last 3 years, and only recently got involved in creating one, the now-fallen Entertained. That podcast was originally a hodgepodge of entertainment subjects, hosted by myself and my friend Grant. One thing led to another, and we eventually morphed the show into an analysis of Disney movies, starting from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. However, as time went on and Grant found it harder to balance being a new dad and devoting the proper amount of time and energy to the show, something had to give. My pleas for him to give his child up for adoption went on deaf ears. Grant, you will regret that decision! (Not really.)

Now, I've decided to do a podcast solo. My greatest fear has been and will be that doing a solo podcast won't be as interesting as listening to two or three people go back and forth on a topic or a group of topics, but I also know that I have plenty to say about Disney movies. With that in mind, I'm proud to introduce you to my new podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema. By the time you're reading this, the first episode, in which I review Cars 2, is up on iTunes (right here!), ready to be downloaded, subscribed, rated and reviewed by all of you. I want to hear your feedback, but please make sure to direct it to the appropriate places. Here's a link to the show's Facebook page. The blog for the show is here. Also on the blog, there's a calendar of movies I plan on discussing for the rest of 2011. On Twitter, I'm @mousterpiece.

I know some of you may be skeptical about listening to a Disney podcast, but let me be clear: if I'm being nerdy about anything Disney on the show, it's the movies. I may mention the theme parks, or the associated merchandise, but this is a podcast about movies. They happen to be Disney movies, but they're movies nonetheless. I'm very excited about the show, and I want to know what you think. Tell me that I'm wrong to worry about doing a solo podcast. Tell me I'm right to worry and what I can do to update the format. Tell me what you think of the movies I talk about. In short, make me know you're listening and are engaged. Not every week will be solo; I'm hoping to get Grant on a few shows, depending on the movie and his schedule, and I may well encourage my wife to jump on board once or twice. Anyone who's reading this who's a Disney fan is welcome to petition to be a guest. I know I'm not the only one out there who loves Disney movies and wants to talk about it at length. I've got Skype, so if you've got a headset and a passion for all things Mouse-related, we can work it out. I hope you'll all check out the show, and let me know what you think.

(cross-posted at Mousterpiece Cinema)

No comments:

Post a Comment