Sunday, May 31, 2009

Up

Copyright 2009, Disney/Pixar

You know, it's a funny thing. Today's the day that the box office estimates for the most recent weekend (read: the one that's not over yet) are reported. To my surprise, there were a fair amount of people on these here Interwebs who actually thought it possible that Up, the tenth feature film from Pixar Animation Studios, would end up grossing somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 million dollars or less in its opening weekend. Of course, by the time I made my way over this morning to pick up tickets for the 3-D presentation of Up, I'd already read that such naysaying was coming to no avail: as of right now, Up has grossed an estimated 68 million dollars, which makes it the third-highest-grossing opening weekend for Pixar.

Still, even if I didn't know that number, I wouldn't have been too surprised. See, I went to pick up tickets for an 11:30 A.M. showing of the film around 9:00 A.M. The first 3-D show of the morning was at 9, and by the time the lights in the theater were dark, the movie was sold out. Now, for context, I'll tell you that my local AMC doesn't have 3-D technology in its biggest theatre (their biggest theatre has a capacity of over 450 people, whereas the 3-D theater has only 170), but still. A Sunday morning at 9...sold out. By the time I got in line for the movie at 10:50, the 11:30 show was sold out; when my wife and I left the theatre at 1:30, the 2:00 show was sold out. Such business does not denote a 50 million or lower opening.

Don't be worried, by the way, that my time spent on talking about box office and sold-out shows means I'm about to burst the balloon of immensely rave reviews and say that Up isn't a good movie. No, Up is far better than good; like all of its Pixar predecessors, the film is not only a marvel of animation, but lots of fun to sit through. Not once did I look at my watch (it's a rare thing that I don't these days); even if I didn't have on the 3-D glasses would I have succumbed to this temptation. I was excited, thrilled, moved, and delighted. Encapsulating all of the best parts of Pixar films, Up is quite possibly the most universally entertaining film these people have ever made.

Not just because two of the three lead human characters are senior citizens is Up an all-ages success. Kids can delight not only at the colorful settings but laugh at Carl Fredricksen (Ed Asner, in a finely tuned performance that is both childlike and prickly) and all of the wacky characters who surround him. Adults will laugh at some of the more clever sight gags (such as the artistic touchstone of dogs playing poker) and maybe even well up a few tears at the very real portrayal of a man still pining for his late wife. Coming after Ratatouille, a movie about a feisty rat who wanted to cook in Paris, and WALL-E, a movie about a silent robot that inadvertently saves the human race while trying to find his true love, Up is a movie that more people may be able to relate to, a movie that more people may want to see again.

Speaking of which, I am very curious to check out Up in 2-D. Now, unlike some critics, I didn't have a single problem with the 3-D presentation of the film. I realize that a few folks were worried about the overall color dimming, but the only time I noticed this effect was during the non 3-D material that came before the film. The reason I'd like to check the film out without the blocky 3-D glasses is because I'd like to see what the experience is. As my wife pointed out, there's not a whole lot of cheap trickery at play here. Directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson (who also wrote the script with actor/writer/director Tom McCarthy) don't feel it necessary to remind us that the movie is in 3-D, which is a nice surprise. Still, I wonder if the balloons that surround Carl, the snipe he and an 8-year old stowaway find in a mythical place in South America, or even that mythical place would look markedly different in 2-D.

Anyone who reads this blog or my work on Box Office Prophets knows that I am nothing if not a Pixar nut. I certainly don't love each of the Pixar films (need I mention Cars again?), but I'm a big fan. Safe to say, I was predisposed to like this movie. What I find most fascinating about Up is that, in many ways, it is the most adult, the most mature film from the studio. Putting characters in various positions of peril is not something Disney shies away from, whether it's Dumbo being put in a cage, Bambi's mother getting killed, or Mufasa being pushed into a stampede of wildebeest by his brother. It's rare, though, that a movie from the Mouse House, within its first 10 minutes, shows a character finding out that she's infertile and then dying. It's also rare for one of the lead characters to talk about his parents being divorced without actually saying so. From overhearing a couple chatty kids behind me in the theatre, it's safe to say that some parents will have a bit of explaining to do on the ride home. Now, not having kids of my own, I won't do anything but applaud the choices made by Docter, Peterson, and company here. Maybe the tune will change when I'm the one struggling to explain why a woman can't have kids.

No matter. Though it may challenge the youngest ones in an audience, Up is a sensational film, a surprisingly funny and moving picture, with enough moments that are worthy of cheers. You probably already know the basic plot (old man lifts house up with balloons and heads to South America), but the slightly more intricate facets are worth the surprise. Of course, I wish that critics had kept their mouths shut about the opening section, which is not only the most realistic material Pixar's put on screen but the most emotional. With only Michael Giacchino's score to provide the sound (and what a phenomenal score it is), we see how Carl, once a shy boy in love with exploring lost worlds, met a similarly-minded girl named Ellie, fell in love with her, got married, had a normal life together, and put their dreams of traveling to Paradise Falls (that mythical place I mentioned earlier) aside. One day, Ellie passed away, leaving behind a bitter and old husband behind. Their trip to Paradise Falls was close to coming to fruition, but as it always happened, life got in the way.

Carl ends up living in the same house he's lived in with Ellie for years, but by himself, in more ways than one. The entire neighborhood has been bought out by a construction company; though Carl refuses to give up his land, when he inadvertently injures a construction worker, he's forced out. Since he was a balloon salesman his whole life, the man has the tools for escape and uses them. That he is accidentally joined by Russell, a chubby little boy who stows away while performing his duties as a Wilderness Explorer, just compounds Carl's grumpiness. They land in Paradise Falls after a time and...well, avoid any spoilers if you can. It's not like we're dealing with an episode of Lost or something, but there are some times in movies where it's worth not knowing everything that happens.

As with WALL-E, the cast here is relatively small. Aside from the perfect Asner, Christopher Plummer (as the famed explorer Charles Muntz), Jordan Nagai (as Russell), Delroy Lindo (as a henchman) and John Ratzenberger (as a construction worker) are the most major players here. I would be remiss if I forgot Bob Peterson himself, who voices a few dogs that Muntz owns, dogs that can talk thanks to a specialized collar. Peterson's very funny here, but again...I don't want to ruin the fun. Up is just as much a love story as last year's WALL-E, as much of an adventure as The Incredibles, and as emotionally gratifying as Finding Nemo. Though I'm not ready to yet dub Up the best Pixar's ever made, the film easily lands in the top five, if not higher. Finally, as the fifth month of 2009 arrives, we have found a great film, the best of the year so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment